Greetings Weber Canyon residents and property owners,
As most of you are aware, the recycle bin in the Weber Canyon transfer station area was removed last year due to inappropriate dumping and misuse of the facilities by a minority of users. The misuse was egregious enough that the authorities considered shutting down the entire transfer station, but ultimately agreed to remove only the recycle bin.
Tim Loveday, Summit County Public Works Solid Waste Superintendent, has generously been working to provide and install cameras in the area to help mitigate misuse.
Toward that end, Summit County is asking anyone who witnesses dumping of inappropriate materials to please report the date, time and any other useful information by calling or email:
Summit County 3-mile landfill 435-336-5297
or Summit County Solid Waste
Tim Loveday: email@example.com
The recycle bin will be reinstalled – however, the bin and the area must be used correctly.
Some types of dumping are illegal, against Summit County ordinances or simply go against common sense and cost limited Summit County Public Works resources to clean up. Please see the attachment for guidelines and the following:
– Please do not place any items or refuse on the ground or on top of the dumpsters.
– If the recycle bin is full, please take it to another recycling facility (for example, Recycle Utah has an excellent facility in Park City), or deposit it in one of the trash bins. You are also welcome to call one of the phone numbers listed above to report full bins.
– Please do not leave any items in the area that you think might be picked up or repurposed by someone else. Again, Recycle Utah has a place for some of these items- Do not throw any kind of household trash in the recycle bin.
– Do not throw garbage bags full of recycled material in the recycle bin. Bags that haven’t been opened up and emptied out in to the recycle bin will be rejected.
– Cardboard boxes (broken down) need to be disposed of in the recycle bin.
Summit County has also included dumpster and recycle dumpster violations in their fee schedule – $250 for the first offense, $500 for subsequent offenses. Please see: https://summitcounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/11519/Public-Hearing-Ordinance-834-G-Fee-Schedule-Amendments
We all look forward to having access to the recycle bin again, and having a clean and manageable area. Summit County needs everyone’s help on this. Please pass this message along to your Association members.
A big THANK YOU to Angela Dohanos, Alicia O’Meara (Weber Canyon residents) and Tim Loveday for your work and efforts getting the recycle bin back!
Thanks to everyone for all your help in this matter
Stephanie Weems, Board Member, Upper Weber Canyon Property Owners Association